90 Flares 90 Flares ×
When trying to find a cheap flight you should/ will choose one of the following methods depending on where and how long you plan to travel for
* General travel search engines
Many countries have their own sites that can find good deal, but there are way too many to list here. This section aims to provide all the necessary tools you should need to find your cheap flight at optimum cost regardless of where you are and where you are going. We all know that there’s a plethora of each a mouse-click away, so read along because these are the ones that consistently deliver the best results I can find when I travel.
Where to begin
Travel search engines are by far the most common way of looking for flights using the internet and one of the most effective. You have to assume though that finding a good deal will require spending some time in front of your computer, and it just might not be your best bet. Still, it’s part of the process with plenty of success stories and I never skip it- I suggest you don’t either. The following are the ones I always use and are definitely excellent options:
Very user friendly it is particularly good for flights within USA and (sometimes) to countries in the Americas. They have a similar-date grid display to that of Kayak that is very handy too.
Travel Tips You Must Consider
Once you have checked travel search engines you now have a very good idea of what the lowest prices are out there, but you can still play around further and improve your results a bit considering the following tips on how to find those cheap flights:
* Flying on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday will give you a better price. If you spend a Saturday night in your destination you might improve it further too.
* If you’re travel dates are flexible dates make sure you choose this option when browsing with the search engine and if it doesn’t have it check around yourself- it has lierally saved me hundreds of dollars.
* Make sure you get the frequent flyer memberships (it’s free) for an airline that belongs to each of the major airline alliances: Oneworld, Star Alliance and Skyteam. It will take some time before you get something for free, but you can earn more points when renting a car, staying at a particular hotel (company paid?) and many other ways. It is not uncommon for frequent business travellers to finance family vacations with airline miles!
* If traveling international make sure you check flights leaving from the 3 or 4 major airports (unless flying with a low cost airline) in your country and look for other flights (low cost?) or options (bus, car, train?) that will take you to that airport.
* Similarly, you can check on flights from major international airports in nearby countries and get there with a low cost carrier. For example, I went on holidays to Thailand last October and found the best price by looking for flights from London to Bangkok and first getting there with a Low Cost airline; I would have paid over 250$ more per person had I purchased the cheapest ticket I could find from Spain, which would have had a stopover in another European city anyhow!
* Once you have the cheapest flight you can find, go to the official airline website and look for that flight. Some companies have a minimum price policy that can reduce your ticket a wee bit more- remember that those 10$ you save will give you accommodation and three meals in many countries worldwide!
You now have plenty of information that will keep you busy for a while if you want to find the best bargain. However, you’re not done yet. These search engines do not include all major airlines nor do they check low cost airlines- and if you have the opportunity to use one don’t miss it. Continue reading part two of this series How to Find Cheap Flights Step 2: Low Cost Airlines.
Category: Advice & Downloads
13 Responses to “How to Find Cheap Flights: Step 1 Travel Search Engines”
Leave a Reply
Hi, I'm Federico. Join me as I travel the world visiting world famous destinations and explore those not as known, offering money saving tips and unique insights for your ultimate trip.
[ Read more ]