June 3

What to Do if You Overstay Your Philippines Visa

Most travelers to the Philippines are given 21-30 days of free entry without a visa on arrival. All you need is a return ticket (we didn't know, and learned this upon arrival), and this is pretty much guaranteed.

If you’re worried you might need to overstay, it’s normally fairly easy to obtain an extension.

First Steps if You Might Overstay Your Philippines Visa

The Bureau of Immigration can arrange 29 day extensions in a relatively painless manner, and two month extensions are also possible under some circumstances.

The standard 29 day extension will set you back roughly PHP3000 ($60). Apparently, there’s supposed to be an additional stamp fee of around PHP100, though it’s inconsistently applied.

It’s also worth noting extensions can only be applied for before your travel permit or visa expires.

If you’ve already overstayed in the Philippines, the easiest thing to do is just head to the airport, and be prepared to pay a fine on the way out.

Fines for Overstaying a Philippines Visa


This is what Moalboal is about

Like many other countries, the Philippines charges overstayers depending on the amount of time they’ve been traveling without authorization.

Uniquely though, you’ll be fined per month of overstay, not per day. It’s also rounded to the next month. For example, a one day overstay is considered a one month overstay, while a one month and one day overstay is charged at the two month rate.

At the time of writing, the rate was PHP500 (US$10) per month. The payment process is likewise pretty painless. At the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, you’ll simply be directed to a window off to the side, where you hand over the cash, sign a few documents, and you’ll be on your way.

Whatever happens, just be sure to arrive at the airport as early as possible, and leave yourself plenty of time. If an immigration official feels the need to give you a lecture, just put on your most apologetic face and deal with it- you actually got off pretty good.
chocolate hills

UNESCO's World Heritage Chocolate Hills

It’s a similar story at other international airports across the country.


Overall, the Philippines is one of the more simple countries in terms of overstays. However, some travelers have reported being given a hard time by immigration officials.

This mostly involves being given a wag of the finger and a stern speech about responsible travel. If you’re particularly unlucky, you might be forced to wait an hour or two to pay the fine.

But if things start to go South make sure you contact your Embassy quickly, as a Filipino prison is not something you want to experience.


You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  1. I have marriage certificate how much to pay to fine to my husband he's staying 5 years because the lockdown

    1. Hello Gina, I don’t really know. There is a price per day, but cops can actually come up with anything to make it more or less. It’s supposed to be 500 PHP per month, but there are other things they want settled that can and probably will increase that amoung significantly.

  2. Don't write false information, I had to pay 6310 pesos for one month and two days of overstaying. The receipt says 5310, maybe the cashier takes another 1000 for himself? Anyway it's not 500 per month. You pay for the cashier before the immigration officer. The immigration officer will ask you why you overstayed after that, I told him I got injured.

  3. I have oberstay in Philippine for almost 6 months and none has given me the exact amouth but I’m actually here for 5 months as of Sep 22,2022 leaving March 29,2023. Can you help me please

  4. It's 2023 , YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT BE GOING TO PRISON FOR OVERSTAY in the Philippines. This is a ridiculous statement on here. Be apologetic, and courteous speaking to Immigration Officials. Respect goes a long way, and if you show some, you'll get it in return. The Philippines BI is a very professional, and detail oriented part of the Philippines Government. The days of rude officials, long lines , and ridiculous wait times is long gone, thanks to a change in protocols in the last few years. It is possible to be blacklisted if you don't have enough money to pay your fees and fines for overstay, and you would need to contact your Embassy in Manila to request help. Overstay does happen to o lot of people, for different reasons. And it's happened for years if not decades. Unless you're on some NBI or BI watchlist for something criminal, you simply need to show up and pay what's needed at Immigration in Intermuros , or at NAIA directly. I have been coming to the Philippines for almost 20 years on and off, and I've overstayed a few times. Mostly because I lived with a girlfriend or my now wife far from Manila in Quezon Province. It boils down to money in the end. Be polite, pay your fines and you'll be fine.

    1. Thanks for sharing your experience, I’m happy to hear that things are not as rough as they were in the past! Which actually makes a lot of sense. Cheers!

    2. How much pay to fine almost 5 years my husband overstay because the lock down but I have marriage certificate na

  5. "If you’ve already overstayed in the Philippines, the easiest thing to do is just head to the airport, and be prepared to pay a fine on the way out."

    Worst advice ever.

    All you need is some frail ego Pinoy at the airport, you'll miss your flight and be screwed.

    Also, you need a clearance certificate depending on how long you have overstayed….and you can't just pop into the airport to pick one of those up.

    Please stop giving BS advice.

    1. You don't need any clearance. You just pay the fine in the airport, it's easy. But the fine is like 3000 pesos a month or part of a month, not 500 pesos

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Subscribe to our newsletter now!